What Is The Spring Clean Living Challenge?
It is the start of a new month, a new season and a great time to start a new healthy mindset!
This free challenge is meant to be doable and promote small, gradual change … but also help push us a little out of our comfort zone so that we can have a powerful change within a month.
It’s not going to change your entire diet and fitness all at once, but it can help you move to a healthier lifestyle.
Here’s how it works:
Each week, pick one mini-challenge from the list of mini-challenges. See the list below.
You pick one mini-challenge for the week that would be an easy, positive change for you. Don’t choose anything you won’t be able to stick to. Pick one to start today! ✅
(Feel free to do more than one a week if you feel you can, or create a challenge of your own that we can add to the list.)
Commit to doing that mini-challenge for the next 7 days. I suggest you join us in the CHL Support & Recipes Facebook group, as we’re doing this challenge together and will hold each other accountable. If you want to do it on your own, maybe commit to a group of friends, family or colleagues on social media or by text.
Report back after a week, and choose a new challenge.
Each Monday, we will report how we did within our group. Report your successes, where you fell short, what you learned and what you’d like to do differently going forward. Then commit to a new mini-challenge (or stick to the same one for another week and add another along side it).
It’s that simple.
Choose from the mini-challenges and commit to it for the week, picking a new one each week. One small change at a time. Gradual change is the most powerful change, and this challenge is the perfect way to do that.
Here are the mini-challenges (you do not have to do all of these, just pick one per week or more as the weeks progress):
1. Adding healthy things 🌱
• Eat two vegetables at lunch/dinner (pick one meal)
• Add one more vegetable to lunch/dinner (pick one meal)
• Eat fruit for breakfast
• Eat fruit and raw nuts for a snack
• Eat veggie sticks with hummus for a snack
• Eat a healthy protein for dinner/lunch
• Eat a fiber-filled breakfast
• Have a tofu scramble with veggies or greens for breakfast
• Drink green or herbal tea in the morning or afternoon (pick one)
• Add whole grains (like quinoa or bulgur wheat) to your meals.
• Eat a hearty salad for lunch every day.
2. Changing your approach 👌
• Learn a couple of new recipes this week
• Eat home cooked meals all week.
• Make a healthy shopping list before you go out to stop unhealthy food purchases.
• Meal plan for the week.
• Cook your healthy food in bigger batches to eat during the week.
• Eat slowly and stop before you’re full.
• Don’t eat after 8 pm.
• Set portion sizes and try sticking to them.
• Download a calorie tracker app and monitor your intake (eg My Fitness Pal)
• Don’t eat if you’re not actually hungry.
• Try for high-volume, lower-calorie foods: vegetables, beans, fruits rather than white starches, meats, processed snacks and fried foods.
• Drink a minimum 8 glasses of water.
3. Cutting out unhealthy things 🥦
(look at what you do now, and set a target that’s lower)
• Eat fruit instead of one of the sweets you normally eat.
• Drink tea or flavoured water instead of soda.
• Cut out sugar.
• Cut back on the number of alcoholic drinks you have each day by one.
• Eat less pastries, bread and other white refined foods.
• Eat less fried/processed foods.
• Switch from white rice or pasta to brown.
• Eat less take aways.
• Take a healthy lunch to work instead of eating fast food or processed meals.
• Try a wholegrain cereal instead of sweet cereal.
• Switch from processed meats (sausages, bacon, etc.) to lean meat, or fish.
• Use less oil when cooking (switch to a low calorie spray)
4. Vegan stuff 💚
• Try eating one meal a day with no meat.
• Reduce dairy or egg intake (use soymilk, oatmilk or almond milk on your cereal, for example).
• Try cooking with tofu, tempeh, or seitan.
• Try some awesome lentil recipes.
• Veganise your favourite meal.
• Make vegan flapjacks to snack on during the week.
5. Fitness 🤸♀️
• Walk 10k steps.
• Jog 3k.
• Complete a short run.
• Follow a yoga tutorial on YouTube
• Walk on the spot for 30min while watching TV
• Do 25 squats.
• Do 25 jumping jacks.
Not every change listed above is for everyone. Find changes that feel right for you, as I know not everyone will need to do everything I’ve listed.
What is healthy for you will be different than what is healthy for me. I believe in a vegan diet, for my health and the health of our planet and i try to eat whole foods as much as I can. That doesn’t mean you have to do that.
The one thing I'm passionate about is trying to get foods that are full of nutrients — vegetables, fruits, beans (and legumes), nuts, seeds, whole grains — and eat less of the foods that are mostly empty of nutrients (processed foods, white bread and sugar, fried foods) and getting regular exercise. Again, you don’t have to take on too much, you just have to be moving in the right direction! ➡️
ARE YOU READY TO START THE CHALLENGE?
If YES, send me a message with your choice of first mini challenge and we'll get you started.
See you inside. 🌿